The day started off where we had a slide show presentation to ease us into the first project which made my brain buzz with ideas once it was finished. After, we were put into groups of 4/5 people.
We were given an A1 sheet of paper to do a group mind map on as shown below:
After doing the mind map, we struggled to think of ideas for the project. So one of the members of the group did some doodling while we were discussing ideas.
This is what they produced:
This sparked an idea in my head about how in dreams they can take you on journeys while you are sleeping. I took the word journey and thought of travelling and when you go travelling you see different famous landmarks. So the concept for our idea came from what I mentioned previously.
First we drew out the buildings in a city skyline style as it relates to a timeline and how you go from one place to another.
We chose to do well-known building from cities around the world:
I experimented with cardboard to create a model to show the buildings in a model form. I divided the sheet into four pieces of 6cm long strips, which I scored with a scalpel to fold together to make a rectangle.
I used UHU glue and masking tape to connect it together to make it secure and test out the material:
However this technique would take us a long time to produce all the buildings we required for our model so we had to rethink the model material. So we had a discussion with our tutor and tried a different route.
We photocopied the previous drawings onto tracing paper as shown below:
On the tracing paper buildings we decided to cut out the occasional window to let light through them so we used a cutting board and scalpel. We decided as a group we wanted to produce a curved model as the tracing paper was flexible. When constructing the model, the material was very floppy and fragile, so we used wire for support and so we could bend the tracing paper to produce the model.
Here is the process shown in the photo below:
We needed a base for the model so we made a circle card base to fit the tracing paper onto.
The photos below show this process:
First Photo Experimenting Attempt:
Once the model had dried, we did a few experiments with light to see how the window reflections looked.
The first load of photos below are of the reflections of the windows into the centre of the model with the light source on the outside:
Second Photo Experimenting Attempt:
These photos have the light source from the inside of the model shining out of the model.
We used black paper underneath the model this time to get a better quality reflection then on white paper like the previous photos:
Towards the end of the lesson we were asked to present our work to the rest of the group, where we got constructive criticism about our work. Some of the feedback suggested included using our original doodle design in the model more. They suggested adding another layer with the original design in the model. We reflected on our model after the feedback and discussed ideas to improve the piece.
I learned how to work in a group and create a model through trial and error and working as a team to produce something to show to the rest of the group.